Monday, August 19, 2013

Salad Week: Mom's Mandarin Orange Salad

I used to pray that God would make me like salads. I'm not even joking. I was an incredibly picky eater growing up and people just assumed that I was a picky eater because I wanted to be a picky eater. They were wrong. I wanted to like the food that everybody else liked. I wanted to be able to eat my vegetables with a smile. I so wanted to be one of those people who went to a restaurant and said, "I'm going to order a salad."

So I prayed, "Dear God, please make me like salad." Somewhere along the line God answered that prayer. (He also answered my prayer to make me like potatoes and chicken soup, but that is a different story all together.) This salad that I am featuring today is one of the very first (if not the first) salad that I truly ever enjoyed. Everybody can thank my dear mom for this wonderful creation.

Mom's Mandarin Orange Salad

Ingredients
Organic Spring Mix
One can of Mandarin oranges
Chow mein noodles
Newman's Own low fat sesame ginger salad dressing




Directions (do we really need these?) 
Here is what I'll say with this salad: eyeball it. I don't have exact proportions because I just put in whatever looks right. 
1. Fill bowl with spring mix
2. Throw on oranges and noodles (you often need less noodles then you think) 
3. Add dressing
4. Enjoy!


Don't forget that I am doing salads all week long here at Abounding Joy! Also, my sister-in-law Cass and cousin-in-law Tracey are getting in on the action too! Check out their blogs here (Cass) and here (Tracey) for some more great salad ideas!

Do you want to join in the fun? Link your favorite salad recipe in the comments section!

1 comment:

  1. Aaaaand now I'm craving salad. And the only greens I have in the fridge right now are the leaves from a bunch of beets... Hmm... Probably edible, right?

    In the meantime, this looks amazing and will be added to my dinner rotation soon!

    ReplyDelete